Prom Shaming

Jessica Martinez, Reporter

Prom, the one night of the year we’re hyped up more than any other dance out there because it’ll be the last for all seniors (except for all you super seniors out there, y’all keep on truckin’). For those of you that live under a rock, prom is just like homecoming except it’s exclusive to seniors and juniors, who wear their handsome tux and beautiful long dresses. Speaking of dresses-which cost most people their left arm–are one of the best parts of the prom experience because who doesn’t wanna feel like a princess?

Unfortunately though, many students in schools are experiencing Prom Shaming. Prom Shaming is telling a girl that she can not wear a certain dress that another girl is wearing because they do not have the same body types thus leading to body shaming as well. It is also where school administrators have made it to where dress guidelines are over the top because they don’t want girls to look too “revealing”. Not only does this make it harder to find a dress but it also makes people think it’s okay to sexualize others based on what they wear and what size they’re wearing.

This is not acceptable behavior especially when it comes from adults that are responsible for shaping our minds. Body shaming and over sexualizing contributes to rape culture as well as telling women and men that a girl shouldn’t be wearing anything that exposes too much of her skin because “it’d be a shame if a guy got too turned on”. Instead of saying sexist remarks such as that, we should be teaching this generation self control instead of having people to cover up, because god forbid their shoulder is showing.

It isn’t just fellow students and I who are getting upset over prom shaming and just shaming in general, it’s also students who are at schools where this prom issue directly affects them. Boylan Catholic High School has recently made national news for their absurd dress code which many students have decided to protest against, This has led the fight against many offensive high school dress codes around the world. Our own Skyhawk, Alyssa Shepard, says that “no school should ever body shame or sexualize because they are supposed to be role models”. Until all schools and places respect different body shapes and stop sexualizing then the fight to end these issues will never stop.