13 Reasons Why Review

Hailey Dahl, Reporter

13 Reasons Why is a conflict stirring T.V. series revolving around a teen girl who committed suicide. There are 13 reasons why she killed herself, and these are all relayed into tapes that are dropped off at a doorstep. The person who gets the package filled with tapes is one of the causes of Hannah’s death.

I definitely think  this is more of a sit down and watch (or binge watch) type of series, because the plot reels you in. For someone who can’t sit still for about an hour for an episode, like one of the main characters Clay, who takes awhile to get through the cassette tapes, this series is taking me awhile to get through because of my schedule.

This teen series intrigues you because of the tapes that Hannah Baker has constructed before her suicide. These tapes are all full of suspense because of the story behind why Hannah Baker committed suicide. This Netflix series and book are both a must watch and read because I am unable to write a review without spoiling the story of the young high school student. I would rate this series a 10/10 mainly because the plot is so intriguing and it makes you want to watch more and more after every episode, this is constructed really well because the series was made alongside Jay Asher, the author of the novel that was published in 2007 and hit the number one spot on the New York Time best seller list in July of 2011.

Many people and social media users are weighing in on this show stating things along the lines of not understanding that it takes a Netflix series to bring awareness to the act of suicide, and I agree with this because it shouldn’t take a fictional character to show that suicide happens everyday, and in the state of Arizona, the suicide rate is 60 percent higher than the national average for people who have taken their lives.