Birth Order Matters

Jenna Rae Stoklosa

David Ross, Reporter

At times people may question the reasons they act a certain way; why they are who they are. When they are put through difficult situations, there reaction can differ to someone else’s. Whether someone has a bad temper, or procrastination in managing their time. Differences in personalities makes someone unique, though the order in which a child was born can set the whole thing in motion. Birth order tends to be more of a crapshoot, since there can be many variables that may fluctuate the idea. Whether these appear to be fact or hoax, it is dependent on the reader.

First borns tend to be the most responsible, and the overachievers out of the family. Since their time in childhood has been spent without the presence of another child they can have most of the attention. This lead them to become more self reliant and in turn can become a big influence to a possible sibling.

The middle child is said to be the most rebellious, since after the first child the parents become more lax and comfortable with parenting. First born children are in a way a test that passed, with some errors. After reviewing the mistakes from the last test, there’s a retake. The retake being the second born.

Though there are many altercations that can change how the middle child will behave. The second born will be heavily influenced by the first born, so some attributes will be determined by the first borns behavior towards the second. A gender difference between first to second born can decide how the middle child behaves as well. A second born female that is preceded by a first born male will act more like a first born than a second. Although they are the second born, they are the first born female.

The last born is more outgoing and rambunctious, and can have the ability to make their parents more compliant. After the previous children had been born, the parents turn them away in a manner, expecting them to be somewhat independent. The baby in the family usually has the parent’s attention for the most part, and this can make them a little manipulative at this advantage.

In the situation of an only child however, the similarities to a first born child are very close. The attributes of receiving the most attention and care as a first born are also applied to an only child, but more. Since there are no other children to turn the parents focus away, the only child typically doesn’t have to worry about a lack of attention.

There are, of course, many factors that must be put into consideration that can alter the situation. These basic generalizations of what characteristics a child obtains from what order they were born in isn’t a standard basis to go by. The situation of nature versus nurture is the first thing that needs to be put under consideration. Though the most influence a child can have is from their parents, their siblings can have just an equal power to mold them.

Decisions, the critical points for someone to make that will decide their future. The childhood of an adult are a very important stage of life. This is the time when people find out who they are, and what they want to become. Birth order might not decide some choices in how an adult responds to situations, but it’s not something to overlook either.