United Airlines dress code

Credit Justin Sullivan

Credit Justin Sullivan

Sarah Landeos Aguilar, Online Managing Editor

This is now what our world has come to. Forget global warming for a minute, forget the deforestation of animal habitats, and just about every decision President Trump has ever made, and consider this question: are leggings appropriate clothing? The debate is endless, and it really doesn’t seem to be going anywhere, but after recent news about two young girls being asked by United Airlines to change out of their leggings because the airline deemed it inappropriate, it’s clear the debatable question needs an answer.

And Shannon Watts did exactly that, Shannon was in line at the neighboring gate when she saw the family. After talking to the mother of one of the girls about how they weren’t allowed to board the plane until her daughter changed out of her leggings or wore something over them. Twitter users took their concerns and disapproval of the situation to the airline company. Most of the tweets were back and forth from the twitter users themselves arguing whether or not the pass rider dress code policy should apply to kids.

Kids are not aware of the rules and policies the airline makes; most kids pick out what they want to wear and don’t think too much about it. They don’t look at leggings and think, “Yup this is totally inappropriate and I should probably not wear this.” Of course not!  Kids see older people wearing leggings and think it’s acceptable to wear. The modern day we live in, leggings have been questioned for years when they first boomed, and now most people don’t seem to have a problem with them, they can be used as comfortable, casual, or fashionable attire. They are worn in almost every shop, workplace, and gym. In my opinion, leggings can be worn as professional attire if worn the right way.      

Therefore, even after stating that leggings should be considered an appropriate clothing attire, the rules on United Airlines stand. They dress code policy for the pass rider is available for everyone who wishes to know what is acceptable and unacceptable. Here are their dress code policy for passengers who are pass riders:    

“Dress code:

• Pass riders’ overall appearance should be well-groomed, neat, clean and in good taste.
  • Attire should be respectful of fellow revenue passengers, employees and pass riders.
  • Pass riders may wear denim attire (such as jeans), shorts that are no more than three inches above the knee and athletic shoes when traveling in Coach or Business cabin.

The following attire is unacceptable in any cabin but is not limited to:

• Any attire that reveals a midriff.
  • Attire that reveals any type of undergarments.
  • Attire that is designated as sleepwear, underwear, or swim attire.
  • Mini Skirts
  • Shorts that do not meet 3 inches above the knee when in a standing position.
  • Form-fitting lycra/spandex tops, pants and dresses.
  • Attire that has offensive and/or derogatory terminology or graphics.
  • Attire that is excessively dirty or has holes/tears.
  • Any attire that is provocative, inappropriately revealing, or see-through clothing.
  • Bare feet
  • Beach-type, rubber flip-flops

CUSTOMER SERVICE’S JUDGEMENT WILL PREVAIL IN ALL MATTERS PERTAINING TO THE DRESS CODE.”

And if you are still debating whether or not the company is in the wrong, let us dig deeper. The passenger was listed as a pass rider, which to those who don’t know, is a passenger who pays little to no money to fly. So they are literally flying for free. I don’t know about you, but if you don’t like a free flight then I don’t know what to tell you. To have a dress code policy for passengers who are flying for free doesn’t seem like a bad deal.

But of course we all have our preference, and if you don’t like United Airline pass rider dress code policy then there are different airline companies that do allow them, like Spirit Airline. But don’t be discouraged from flying with United Airlines since this policy is only for pass riders. Those who pay for their own tickets can wear whatever they wish. So fly safe and dress appropriately–when the rules apply.