Students of Deer Valley: Justin Ferris

Yami Ruiz, Business Manager

Justin Ferris, senior, is a very well known individual around campus. He’s a smart and talented guy who has many things planned for him. To tell you a little about him, he received Student of the Month for the month of November, he’s looking into aeronautical and astronautical engineering (basically spaceships and all those fancy cool things), he plays volleyball, and he also dives. The best part is that his talent and passion for diving allowed him to qualify for State championships! He dedicated himself to this sport all four years of high school. In a devastating turn of events, he was disqualified from competing at State because some paperwork was not turned in on time by the athletic staff.

Though it was his senior year and his last chance to dive competitively at State, he handled the disappointment extremely well, in public at least. ”I cried for hours and hours — nah, I’m just playing, I didn’t cry — but it was heartbreaking because your senior year is the final chance to show them what you got. But luckily last year I did well enough to make my mark,” said Ferris.

Not everyone wants to continue going to school after high school but Ferris does. And his favorite subject happens to be math so he will get plenty of complicated homework at ASU or MIT in Massachusetts. “I have plenty of scholarships and college applications but they were due in January, so now I get to party it up.” Though his personality is easy going, Ferris will continue to be dedicated to his studies until graduation in May.    

Though high school years can be a time of great change and new found identities, Ferris feels he has stayed the same. “I am more confident compared to freshman year, but I feel like I’m still the same person I was. People still know me as ‘nerdy’, smart, and funny Justin,” he said.

Justin, you will leave an impact in people’s lives, and you will do great things in life. Even though you couldn’t make it to state whether you Dive for fun or competitively you will still be great at what you do. Enjoy your senior year partying it up (after submitting your college applications of course).