Valley’s Basketball Team takes the Win Friday Night

Dominic Benedetti, Reporter

Before last Friday night’s boys’ basketball game against Desert Edge High School, Best Buddies Club and their members played a quarter of basketball. With blocks, threes, and cross ups, the Best

Photos by Dominic Benedetti

Buddies squad showed the crowd a great game.

1st quarter

To begin the game, Desert Edge wins the tip-off; Desert Edge didn’t score so Valley gets the ball. Junior Brandon Savage is fouled. Savage only hits one of two free throws. Luckily Senior Keyvaughn Williams comes down the court while Desert Edge remains scoreless and splashes a three. Following the three, Junior Ethan Cashion steals the ball and the Skyhawks score again. After achieving multiple defensive stops the score is 6-0.

Desert Edge is fouled and makes both free throws. Skyhawks unfortunately don’t score, but the ball is stolen and Williams comes down the court and draws the foul. Meanwhile, it’s Junior Johnny Diaz who scores.

While up 9-4, the Skyhawks go on a cold streak letting the Desert Edge Scorpions catch up 9-9. The Scorpions score again, faking out two defenders and taking their first and only lead. Junior Dez Melton responds to the Scorpions-made shot with one play scoring three points making the shot and free throw. Skyhawks are up at the end of the first 16-15.

2nd quarter

The Scorpions let the Skyhawks score an easy two and the Skyhawks begin to turn up the heat. Deer Valley is on the fast break where Senior Ari Danzy is fouled. After that Deven Breckner scores. Desert Edge still slacking off turns it over on a three second violation. This leads to an easy score by Savage. The ball is stolen from Desert Edge again by Junior Jaret Allen.

In the first three minutes the Scorpions have only scored off a free throw, 22-17. Breckner steals the ball from Desert Edge and scores on the fast break. Savage is later fouled and only hits one of two free throws. The second free throw is missed and rebounded by Cashion and kicks it out to Breckner, who scores and draws a foul for a and one play. Desert Edge takes the ball up court but the shot is blocked by Cashion and passes to Breckner, who scores. Desert Edge turns the ball over once again leading to Breckner being fouled.

It’s 31-17 and the Skyhawks show no signs of stopping. The ball is stolen by Cashion once again but is later turned over by the Skyhawks due to an illegal screen. Both sides do great on defense with multiple defensive stops each. The quarter ends 35-21 with Desert Edge only scoring 6 points.

3rd quarter

Desert Edge kick the half off with a three in which Danzy responds with a two. Skyhawks steal the ball from the Scorpions and the outcome is a slam dunk by Jaret Allen! Deer Valley steals the ball on Desert Edge’s next two possessions with one leading to a score and the other to a foul. Desert Edge commits two turnovers in a row on which Danzy scores on both. Jaret Allen steals the ball but 

the Skyhawks turn it over. Desert Edge has no offense going and the Skyhawks get the ball in which Williams alley oops the ball to Jaret Allen. To end the quarter the score is 56-34.

4th quarter

Diaz steals the ball from Desert Edge in which Savage posterizes the other team. Diaz steals it once again and scores. Desert Edge is in a scoring drought in which the Skyhawks are scoring on almost every possession, with barely any turnovers — or missed shots. The Skyhawk defense only allows Desert Edge to score five points in the fourth quarter. Friday night’s fast-paced game ends in a final score of 71-39, a 32 point difference.