Teacher Feature: Craig Foster

Sam Torres, Reporter

Deer Valley is home to many good people, Craig Foster, a senior language arts teacher, is quite the teacher sometimes known as Mr. Sunshine. He is a kind, soft spoken man with a life full of experiences. So without further ado, here’s a look into the life of Mr. Foster.

Foster worked at a hospital where he started as a linen distributor, then moved to the supply chain. “I’ve worked in a department called SPD where we sterilize the instruments for the doctors for surgery, and I also did a little bit of work in physical therapy as an aid working with old people; geriatrics in a hospital setting just wasn’t for me, so I’m like okay I’m either gonna go into physical therapy school or education, and the first day on the job I was walking a patient and the patient said, ‘I have to go’ and I look behind me and the patient had gone number two, and the therapist said let me hold him while you go get washcloths and clean it up. And I’m like you know what, this job just isn’t for me.” So, that’s why he pursued his passion of teaching.

Foster started out student teaching in Paradise Valley then moved on to teach many years in Gilbert “What was happening in Gilbert is, they were cutting a lot of programs, a lot of staff were getting laid off, and it was really kind of depressing. So I wanted an opportunity, so I applied in North Valley and it boiled down to Sandra Day O’Connor and North Canyon High School.” Foster taught at Sandra Day for one year before coming to Deer Valley teaching regular and dual enrollment classes.

Being a teacher, you get to meet a new set of people every year, “I run into my students-matter of fact I was in the cafeteria at the hospital a few month ago and I heard someone say ‘Mr. Foster’ and I looked behind me and it was one of my students who’s now a nurse. I’ll never forget , we had an open house one night, a mother came up and introduced herself to me and started crying she said my daughters dying and made it through the entire year and ended up graduating from high school so it’s good to see kids become productive citizens.”  Foster himself went to Winslow High School for his first two years then went to Mountain View High School when his dad got a new job.

His English teacher’s name was Mrs. Thornhill and was very tough, but she always expected the best of her students. “I’ll never forget how i developed a report with her, one night i went to a suns game and as I was going to get my bicycle, a door opened up and Kareem Abdul Jabbar walked out, I walk out and I’m like “Kareem Abdul Jabbar can I have your autograph?” and he signed my program for me. I was so interested that I went to the school library and I checked out his autobiography, and I look in it and the person who had checked it out before me was Mrs. Thornhill, so she and i would always talk about sports and we developed that report. I’ve always liked English and she encouraged me; told me that I was a talented writer and it just flourished… then when I went on to community college I had an instructor named Mr. Barin, who was really fun loving, he encouraged me, so this is what I decided to do. I love writing, I love reading, I love helping students. No matter what you do, you’ll always use reading and writing.

So that’s how our very own Mr. Sunshine came to stay at Deer Valley, and we’re very thankful for him. If you’re lucky enough to have him as a teacher you know how sweet he is, and if you’re reading this, The Skyhawk Flight loves you Mr. Forster!!!