Teachers, school staff get a raise

Back to Article
Back to Article

Teachers, school staff get a raise

Natalie Seagroves, Opinion Writer

The Deer Valley Unified School District recently approved all staff members a 5 percent raise, which is well deserved in my honest opinion. They do have to deal with all these rowdy teenagers at least 5 days a week, which can be very rough. This five percent raise has been a long awaited benefit for staff members.

Apparently, after the Red 4 Ed strike that happened last year the staff members got a 10 percent raise. The board that’s in charge of this also promised them they would get a five percent raise in 2019. After voting last week, three board members voted yes and then two others didn’t vote because they wanted more information. Staff members weren’t very sure they were going to get that 2019 five percent raise, but they did so that’s a good thing! The next thing is the board people also promised them another five percent raise in 2020 to help raise Arizona teachers to at least closer to what teachers make in other states. We’ll see if they get that promised raise again next year.

Superintendent Dr. Curtis Finch played a role in getting the teachers their pay raises. He apparently called upon 18 superintendents to discuss the funding for schools in Arizona. Many teachers are saying they want more though because Arizona is still underpaid compared to other states. They want to be valued more. Many are saying that school districts use the money for other things instead of giving it to the teachers who work almost every day to give students a good education.

Teachers and staff members will have to be patient and wait to see if they get the other five percent raise in 2020. They deserve more money but they can’t get all of it at the moment so they might have to wait a little longer.