Stop Bullying!

Stop+Bullying%21

Emma Bibb

Bullying is a nationwide problem and should always be taken seriously. Bullying takes place especially with high school students. According to Sage Journals, students who have reported to have suicidal risk behaviors were 4.64 times more likely to have experienced cyber-bullying. Ninth grade students as well as females were more likely to experience suicidal risk behaviors and bullying of all kinds. There are four types of bullying and they are: physical, verbal, social, and cyber bullying. Physical bullying consists of aggression causing short or long term damage like: kicking, hitting, slapping, pushing, etc. Verbal bullying includes comments like: name calling, insults, intimidation, etc. Verbal bullying may also consist of racist, homophobic, and misogynistic remarks. Social bullying is mainly humiliation and can consist of trying to alter someone’s reputation negatively. For example, spreading rumors, encouraging excluding one person, or mimicking. Lastly, cyber bullying is online bullying. Cyber bullying can be but not limited to: nasty texts, hacking, and gossip. Social media platforms like Instagram, Snapchat, and Twitter take a large part in cyber bullying. 

Deer Valley Unified School District has an anti-bullying policy stated on the DVUSD website. DVUSD also has a tip line that is not only used for bullying but can be used for bullying. The tip line is used for compliments, drugs and alcohol, fighting, weapons, vandalism, etc. Lastly, they also have a report form that goes directly to the safe schools department.

• If you are in immediate danger or harm please call 911 immediately. 
  • If you are feeling hopeless and need to talk to someone now you can call  1-800-273-8255. If you are a Spanish speaker you can call 1-888-628-9454. Lastly, if you are hard of hearing you can call 1-800-799-4889. You can call these numbers 24/7. 
  • If you want to get help for someone or you are concerned about someone, you can seek a mental health expert or counselor. 
  • If a child is being bullied in school please tell a person of authority like: a teacher, principal, or department of education. 
  • In the worst case if the school is doing nothing you may contact the department of education or justice.